What are you planning to do this summer with the Olympics being held in our lovely nation? Not everyone has tickets for the main events but there are plenty of opportunities for churches to engage with their communities using this grand occasion as a theme for activities. Some of you may want to run a holiday club, some a special sports event and others a special service. One thing is for sure is that summer 2012 will be buzzing with excitement and opportunities for us to engage with the big event and be the Gospel!
So for those of you who like to plan ahead here are some links to ideas and resources with an Olympic theme that you might find useful. And if you come across more, please let us know so that we can add them in.
- The Church of England’s Olympic Games site
- Gigantic Welcome: resources on the theme of hospitality from ROOTS
- Champions’ Challenge: Scripture Union holiday club material
- The Sports Academy: Holiday club material from John Hardwick
- The Games: everything you need to run a one-day event in schools
- How to run a sports holiday club
- Club Olympics: free Holiday Club download
- More than Gold
- Who comes first? Key Stage 2 classroom and assembly resource using inspiring stories from the Games
- Who comes first? Inset possibilities from the BRF team
- Decathlon: sports-themed material to help young people explore the Christian faith
- BMS World Mission have a pack which focuses on the Paralympics and inclusion