What are you planning to do this summer with the Olympics being held in our lovely nation? Not everyone has tickets for the main events but there are plenty of opportunities for churches to engage with their communities using this grand occasion as a theme for activities. Some of you may want to run a holiday club, some a special sports event and others a special service. One thing is for sure is that summer 2012 will be buzzing with excitement and opportunities for us to engage with the big event and be the Gospel!
So for those of you who like to plan ahead here are some links to ideas and resources with an Olympic theme that you might find useful. And if you come across more, please let us know so that we can add them in.
- The Church of England’s Olympic Games site
- Gigantic Welcome: resources on the theme of hospitality from ROOTS
- Champions’ Challenge: Scripture Union holiday club material
- The Sports Academy: Holiday club material from John Hardwick
- The Games: everything you need to run a one-day event in schools
- How to run a sports holiday club
- Club Olympics: free Holiday Club download
- More than Gold
- Who comes first? Key Stage 2 classroom and assembly resource using inspiring stories from the Games
- Who comes first? Inset possibilities from the BRF team
- Decathlon: sports-themed material to help young people explore the Christian faith
- BMS World Mission have a pack which focuses on the Paralympics and inclusion
- The Aim Lower Journal is an excellent website of artilces that focus on mission, discipleship and children. Here’s a selection of articles from issue 1: Aim Lower – A new priority for children in mission thinking Think Smaller – How do we relate to children and how might fresh thinking help our mission Give Up – Challenge yourself. Are you ready More...
- The Bridge is… A website packed with quality teaching. A line of communication between young people and wider church leadership. A statistical beast, educating the church about young people. Their Vision The Bridge provides one place for young people to receive an extensive range of good quality teaching, in a variety of forms. This teaching is to be relevant More...
- The Diocese of Liverpool produced some excellent resources for doing an away day with children as part of their Year of the Child programme in 2009. The Diocese of Liverpool invited everyone to make a difference in their parish during 2009. 2009 was the 30th anniversary of the United Nations International Year of the Child. This was an opportunity to: Review your work More...
- Godly Play has a phrase ‘The mystery of Easter is so great that it cannot be kept in one Sunday – it spills over into 7 Sundays’. And towards the end of Eastertide we have the great celebrations of Ascension and Pentecost. Now’s a good time to start planning ahead for them and you’ll find plenty of help here and More...
- This year, Christian Aid has taken the theme Bite Back at Hunger. It’s a great opportunity to help children and young people think about our responsibility as a Christians to care for those who have far less than we do. As usual, Christian Aid have provided resources for church and school. Share this:FacebookTwitterMoreLinkedInGoogle +1PrintEmailDiggStumbleUponRedditPinterestTumblr